The postindian warrior is the simulation of survivance in new stories.
– Gerald Vizenor
The Collective Identity Quest
- What groups do you belong to?
- This could include gender, sexual orientation, roles in family, roles in work, friendships, social, political, or spiritual groups, tribal affiliation or nation.
- This is your collective identity!
- Remove connections from your life that cause you to be unhealthy.
- Focus your attention only on connections that encourage you to be healthy.
- Tell a story in any medium that reflects your collective identity.
- For example, a painting of symbols that represent your culture.
- Share your act of survivance by emailing the file or posting online, and tagging the act with #survivance.
Words of Elaine Grinnell
“You have to be willing to give up friends. You have a lot of friends that you can party with – and then once you give up that drinking – it seems like they don’t trust you any longer. People will drop away after awhile.”