The postindian warrior is the simulation of survivance in new stories.
– Gerald Vizenor
The Core Values Quest
- What are your core values?
- Make a list of ten values, which could include Peace, Wealth, Personal Expression, Family, Power, Friendship, Intellect, Career, Fame, Social Justice, Community, Nation, Freedom, Influence, Justice, Happiness, Knowledge, Social Status, Truth, Integrity, Love, Spirituality, Wellness, or Environment.
- Whittle those down to only five.
- Then three! You can do it.
- Then just one. This is the center of your belief system.
- Tell a story in any medium that reflects the core of your belief system. For example, if Environment is at your center, you can take a photo of a tree.
- Share your act of survivance by emailing the file or posting online, and tagging the act with #survivance.
Words of Elaine Grinnell
“I can remember Billy Hull coming in the evening on the ebb tide. He would have his canoe and the sail up. He would be sitting back and be low in the water because he had so many fish. And we’d all grab our pans. Grandma would grab her pan and we would all go down in front of his house and he would share those fish with everyone. And I think that’s part of being a tribe. That’s part of being interconnected. What a marvelous thing – and we’d all watch for him!”